Associação da Escola Internacional de Luanda (LISA) is a non-profit organization with its headquarters in Luanda, Angola. Among other aims, LISA was established in order to set up and administer an English language school.
The Luanda International School (LIS) opened its doors on 26 October 1996 with 27 students. LIS was located in the City of Luanda at Rua de Cambambe, 21-23, Bairro de Patrice Lumumba.
LIS was the brainchild of the “Founding Five”: Roger Ballard Tremeer (South African Ambassador to Angola), Carmen Campbell-Hewitt (Educational Psychologist and First Headmistress), Florbela Lopes (interested parent and Business Administrator), Emilienne Macauley (interested parent), and Doreen Verster (interested parent). Their mission was to offer, in the medium of English, a high calibre, international pre-primary and primary educational programme open to all nationalities. A secondary mission was to foster an appreciation and offer a facility for the extension of English as a second language to all age groups.
LISA was officially established in 1998 with the following aims:
- Promote the teaching of English language and culture in Angola;
- Set up and administer an English language school;
- Encourage cooperation and solidarity between the several English-speaking communities resident in Angola;
- Promote linguistic and cultural exchanges involving people and associations, both national and foreign, inasmuch as they are concerned with the study and spread of the English language and culture;
- In general, promote whichever initiatives or activities that aim to improve the understanding and advancement of the English language and culture in Angola.
In 2003, LIS moved to the Talatona Campus at Via S6, Bairro de Talatona, Município de Belas, Luanda.
Courage to empower
Passion to inspire
Together shaping our future
A diverse community of learners, committed to fostering compassionate, confident and socially responsible individuals who thrive in the world.
- A strong community is built on inclusion, participation, communication, kindness and mutual respect.
- Student voice is integral to our school culture.
- A commitment to continual improvement for all members of the community is paramount.
- Learning is a social and emotional process that is authentic, differentiated and fosters international mindedness.
- Learning cognitive, creative, physical, social and emotional skills are fundamental for a balanced learning experience.
- Learning thrives when positive, respectful relationships exist in an inclusive environment.
- Sustainable thinking is critical to decision making and actions.
- Integrity, empathy, and trust are fundamental.
- Respect for ourselves and others, our environment, and our cultural contexts guides our thoughts, actions and relationships.
- The courage to stand by our principles, face adversity, take risks, make mistakes is essential for growth.
- Deliver the International Baccalaureate PYP, MYP and Diploma programmes and maintain international accreditation.
- Recruit and develop qualified and inspiring staff that embrace the values, mission and vision of LIS.
- Maintain the international identity of the school while respecting Angolan culture.
- Have English as the language of instruction while celebrating mother languages.
- Not tolerate behavior that is detrimental to the health, safety, integrity, or dignity of any individual or the school.
- Ensure that enrollment, resources and capacity are aligned, sustainable and balanced with our community’s needs.
- Deliver a sound financial plan to ensure sustainability.
- Ensure transparency through regular communication to support the engagement of all community members.
- Maintain an inclusive strategic plan with a systematic process of reflection and feedback.
Address: Rua do Talatona – Caixa Postal 1566, Bairro de Talatona, Luanda Sul, Município da Samba, Luanda, República de Angola